Monday, December 31, 2012

Review: Opal (Lux #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Publisher: Entangled Publishing (December 3, 2012)
Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance, Science Fiction
Format: Kindle
Source: Purchased

*Please note that it is very hard to review books past the first one in the series without having any spoilers at all. I will try to keep it as spoiler free as I can, but if you haven't read the second book in this series, you may just want to read that review instead of continuing with this one.
Goodreads Summary
No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.



Glowing Eyes, Godzilla, Man-Candy, and Snow-Angels

Okay guys, this series has been added to my list of all-time favorites. I have loved all that has come out so far.

The Bad

I'm going to start with the bad this time, because there is simply too much good to get through. I was upset by the changes in Dee and Katy's relationship.

"This wasn't my best friend. And then it hit me. Dee wasn't my best friend anymore. God, realizing that seemed more important than anything else that was going on. Yeah, that was stupid when the big picture was called into play, but Dee was important..."

Dee had less page time in Onyx and I missed her. In this one, their relationship was in shambles and the Dee that I loved in Obsidian was no longer present. Due to the circumstances, I understand that it is this way for a reason but I miss the fervor and positive energy that she brought.

The Good

I LOVE how Armentrout references the fact that this is not a book IN the book.

"No. You don't get it." He turned to me, furious. "This isn't a paranormal fantasty or whatever the hell it is you read. There is no set plot or clear idea of where any of this is going. The enemies aren't obvious. There are no guaranteed happy endings and you - " He lowered his head so we were eye level. "You are not a superhero, no matter what the hell you can do."

Too funny. Then there is all the language that I absolutely adore. She uses quirky phrases that I use in my everyday life and you don't see too often in books, like "Sweet Baby Jesus" and "Total Fail".

Katy has been through a lot in the last two books, and this one was no exception. She is growing at a good rate character wise and her outlook on situations is changing. She is no longer a black and white person, but definitely seeing the shades of gray now and I can tell that in the more complex decision making that is shown. I appreciate how very protective she is of the ones she cares about even if she makes the wrong decisions sometimes in how to handle things. She is becoming more cooperative and realizing that she has to trust other people and open up more in order to stop being such a hindrance.

Daemon is still the unpolished and conceited alien that I loved in the other two books, but he is getting deeper as well. He is admitting (at times) when he is wrong and allowing circumstances around him to not always be in his control even if it physically hurts him to not be protecting everyone.

I was introduced to some new characters that I can't really describe without giving things away, but I will say that with everything that has been going on, I never know who to trust and I enjoy that suspense.

"And suddenly is struck me. This was my life - all of this craziness. The ups and downs, the near-death moments and those far worse, the lies and the fact I probably wouldn't be able to trust anyone who befriended me without worrying if they were an implant. And hell, how could I really befriend anyone normal? Like Daemon in the beginning - he'd stayed away and wanted Dee to do the same so I wouldn't be caught in their world. It would be the same with anyone I met. My life wasn't my own. Every moment was like waiting for the other shoe to drop."

The Romance

I don't know if I have ever really liked a couple as much as I do Daemon and Kat. That is all.

Conclusion

This was a great third installment to this series. The story is progressing naturally and is very entertaining to follow. There are plenty of conflicts to satisfy the need for overcoming obstacles and it is well balanced with those funny side junctures that make me fall in love with the characters. I can't say much about the ending except  - WHY?? I know the wait for Origin will be very hard. I most certainly recommend this book.


Excerpts

"Since Daemon hadn't gone ape wild on someone, I scrambled to my knees and peered over the edge of the bed. 'Holy crap,' I said out load. Our precious moment of being normal ended with a body lying on my bedroom floor."

"Going from shy, book-nerd Katy to something impossible; someone who had changed on more than a cellular level. I no longer saw the world in black and white and deep down I knew I didn't operate on basic social norms anymore."

"My heart tripped up. There were so many times I wondered if Daemon could read minds. He could be amazingly spot-on when he wanted. I tilted my head back against his shoulder, wondering how he'd gone from douchebag extraordinaire to this...this guy who still infuriated me but also constantly surprised and amazed me."

"There was a pause, and then his lips stretched into a smile. 'You're right.' Hell froze over. Pigs were flying. 'Come again?' 'You're right. I should've checked in at some point. I'm sorry.' The world was flat. I didn't know what to say."

"'He wants you.' 'Oh, dear God, he does not.' 'Whatever. I'm a guy. I know what other guys are thinking.'"

4 comments:

  1. I love their relationship too, and it was really hard to see Katy and Dee so at odds.

    Great review!

    Happy reading,

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s
    Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoyed reading yours so much too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dee not having enough page time stinks, but if that is the worst of it then it must be pretty fantastic. I loved the first two in the series and am thrilled to see that it is still a strong read in no. 3. Thanks for your great review.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!