Friday, January 8, 2016

Review: Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy #3) by Wendy Higgins


Published: April 29, 2014 by HarperTeen
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased
Goodreads Summary

It’s time.

Evil is running rampant and sweet Anna Whitt is its target. Nobody knows when or how the Dukes will strike, but Anna and her Nephilim allies will do anything necessary to rid the earth of the demons and their oppressive ways.

The stakes are higher than ever, and Anna is determined that the love she feels will be her strength, not a liability. But trying to protect the ones she loves while running for her life and battling demonic forces proves to be perilous—especially as faces are changing and trust is fleeting. When the Duke of Lust sends Anna’s great love, Kaidan Rowe, to work against her, Anna must decide how much she’s prepared to risk.

In the most sensual and fast-paced installment yet, Sweet Reckoning brings all the beloved Neph together one last time to fight for their freedom.

"There was going to be a reckoning here tonight, both sweet and terrible."


Allies


I have really enjoyed this series. It was a fast, fun read. Not much to have to think about, and while parts of it may have been cheesy or too 'easy', I still loved it and was definitely what I was needing to read right now.

The action was revved up even more. There is a lot of strategizing, running, hiding, and fighting in this one. I love how much Anna has grown throughout the story. She's so easy to underestimate and that's to her enemies' detriment. The side characters are all in depth and they are hard not to get attached to. Higgins also isn't afraid to make some hard choices of taking some of those characters away from us and forcing them into some pretty tragic situations which definitely makes the idea of this war more believable. The group becomes this sort of family all bonded together and it was amazing to watch all these personalities and people who didn't have any friends or family meld together to form this ragtag group of heroes. That's my favorite part I think. The Dukes that they are up against are despicable. I love how grotesque they come off and the evil they are prepared to do since it makes me want Anna to take them down even more.


Enemies



I would have liked to see the final confrontation stretch out a little more, but overall the action was really good.

He said...She said


Some will find the romance incredibly cheesy and may even be shaking their heads or cringing a bit in parts. I adored the partnership between Anna and Kai and though it was all a bit cliche, it worked for the story in my opinion. I enjoy the relationships that happen out of two people who don't like each other at first (though they may be wildly attracted to each other) and grow into that all-consuming love. They went through their whiny and jerk periods and they had a lot of cute moments in this final book.


And we all stand firm



Definitely a good series. The concepts involved with the angels and demons are original and interesting. Anna is a strong heroine and her group of side characters are simply amazing. The romance and action parts are a good bonus. It was quick and easy to read and get through, and though it may have had it's flaws it was great for me. Definitely recommended.



Excerpts

We, the Nephilim, were going to rid the earth of demons, and I was slated to lead the way.

I stopped at our door and got a weird prickly sensation. The thought of a demon whisperer caused my heart to pound and my eyes to search all around me, but nothing was there. I glanced down the stairs. Nothing. With a shaking hand I slid my key into the bolt lock, only to find it already unlocked. Weird. Patti never forgot to lock the door.

A light, persistent knocking woke me at four in the morning. I saw Ginger through the peephole and let her in. My eyes darted down the hall, but there was no sign of Marna. It was the first time Ginger had ever looked less than perfect. Small purple bags rested under her eyes. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Where's Marna?"


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!